The Canadian Society for Chemical Engineering (CSChE) 2013 Award winners will be recognized at the Oct. 20-23 Canadian Chemical Engineering Conference in Fredericton, N.B. :
- Award for Best Graduate Student Paper published in The Canadian Journal of Chemical Engineering (CJChE) goes to Mohammed Alaggad, University of British Columbia. The award is sponsored by the CJChE.
- The Bantrel Award in Design and Industrial Practice, sponsored by Bantrel, goes to Kelly Hawboldt, Memorial University of Newfoundland.
- The D. G. Fisher Award, sponsored by the Chemical Institute of Canada (CIC) Chemical Education Fund goes to Biao Huang, FCIC, University of Alberta.
- The Process Safety Management Award, sponsored by the CIC Process Safety Management Division, goes to Graeme Norval, FCIC, University of Toronto.
- The R. S. Jane Memorial Award, sponsored by the CSChE, goes to Jesse Zhu, FCIC, Western University.
- The Syncrude Canada Innovation Award, sponsored by Syncrude Canada, is Santiago Faucher, Xerox Research Centre of Canada.
To find out more about these awards and award winners go to www.cheminst.ca/awards.
A new technology developed by Philip Jessop, Canada Research Chair in Green Chemistry at Queen’s University and Technical Director at GreenCentre Canada, has earned him the prestigious Eni Award in New Frontiers of Hydrocarbons – Upstream prize. The Eni awards are given annually to outstanding researchers who have developed innovative ideas for a better use of energy sources and environmental sustainability. Eni’s target is to monitor and promote the best research and scientists in the field of energy.
John Grace, FCIC, has been appointed an Officer of the Order of Canada in recognition of his contributions in developing cleaner technology for industrial processes and energy production. Grace is a professor in the Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering at the University of British Columbia and a faculty associate at UBC’s Pulp and Paper Centre. The Order of Canada is one of the highest civilian honours in the country and recognizes a lifetime of outstanding achievement in Canada.