Gregory Jerkiewicz, professor of chemistry at Queen’s University and Editor-in-Chief of Electrocatalysis, has been appointed to the Advisory Board of FC Cubic, the Fuel Cell Cutting-Edge Research Center Technology Research Association. FC Cubic is supported by the New Energy and Industrial Technology Development Organization of Japan.
Mark MacLachlan, professor of chemistry at the University of British Columbia, has been honoured with the Rutherford Memorial Medal in Chemistry from the Royal Society of Canada. Established in 1980, the Rutherford Memorial Medals are awarded for outstanding research in any branch of physics or chemistry. MacLachlan researches mesoporous materials for applications in optics, supercapacitor electrodes and catalysis.
Tom Boughner, of Tetrahedron Performance Resources and an active member of the Process Safety Management Division of the Canadian Society for Chemical Engineering, was awarded a Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal last year in recognition of his efforts as emergency Town Recovery Manager to help the town of Slave Lake, Alta. rebound from a 2011 wildfire that sparked $700 million in damage.
The Canada Research Chair Program, which is investing $300 million in top Canadian researchers this year, has announced the new recipients and renewals for 2014. Members of the Chemical Institute of Canada who received this honour include:
- Paula Brown, Director of the BC Institute of Technology’s Natural Health and Food Products Research Group;
- Edouard Asselin, Materials Engineering Department, University of British Columbia;
- Russ Algar, Department of Chemistry, UBC;
- Shiping Zhu, FCIC, Chair, Department of Chemistry, McMaster University;
- Jean-Michel Nunzi, Department of Chemistry, Queen’s University;
- Patrick Gunning, Department of Chemistry, University of Toronto Mississauga;
- Russell Kerr, Department of Chemistry and Department of Biomedical Sciences, University of Prince Edward Island;
- Thomas Szkopek, Department of Physics, McGill University.