The Chemical Institute of Canada (CIC) and Canadian Society for Chemistry (CSC) have announced the award winners for 2014. Official presentations take place at the 97th Canadian Chemistry Conference and Exhibition in Vancouver, June 1-5 and the 64th Canadian Chemical Engineering Conference in Niagara Falls, Ont., Oct. 19–22. Details about the winners’ research are available at www.cheminst.ca/awards.
CIC award winners:
- CIC Medal, Douglas W. Stephan, FCIC, University of Toronto.
- Montréal Medal, B. Mario Pinto, FCIC, Simon Fraser University.
- Beaumier Award for High School/CÉGEP Chemistry Teacher,Jennifer Pitt-Lainsbury, University of Toronto Schools.
- Catalysis Award, Warren Piers, FCIC, University of Calgary.
- CIC Award for Chemical Education, Uttandaraman Sundararaj, University of Calgary.
- Environment Division Research and Development Award,William R. Cullen, FCIC, University of British Columbia.
- Macromolecular Science and Engineering Award, Derek G. Gray, FCIC, McGill University.
CSC award winners:
- Alfred Bader Award, Robert A. Batey, University of Toronto.
- Award for Research Excellence in Materials Chemistry, Federico Rosei, Institut national de la recherche scientifique (INRS).
- Bernard Belleau Award, John Honek, University of Waterloo.
- Boehringer Ingelheim Research Excellence Award, Robert E. Campbell, University of Alberta.
- CCUCC Chemistry Doctoral Award, Gabriel Ménard, Harvard University, for his research carried out at University of Toronto under adviser Douglas Stephan, FCIC.
- Clara Benson Award, Hélène Lebel, Université de Montréal.
- E. W. R. Steacie Award, A. B. P. Lever, FCIC, York University.
- Fred Beamish Award, Juewin Liu, University of Waterloo.
- John C. Polanyi Award, Tucker Carrington Jr., FCIC, Queen’s University.
- Keith Laidler Award, David Bryce, University of Ottawa.
- Maxxam Award, Sergey Krylov, York University.
- R. U. Lemieux Award, Tomas Hudlicky, Brock University.
- Rio Tinto Alcan Award, Martin Stillman, FCIC, Western University.
- Strem Chemicals Award for Pure or Applied Inorganic Chemistry, Paul Ragogna, Western University.
- Teva Canada Limited Biological and Medicinal Chemistry Lectureship Award, David Vocadlo, Simon Fraser University.
- W. A. E. McBryde Medal, Lars Konermann, Western University.