Process Safety Course
September 17-18, 2013, Toronto, Ont.
This two-day course is intended to introduce the technical and working concepts of process safety to engineering, safety and management professionals who are engaged in process design or plant operations. Numerous case studies and class breakout exercises are used to convey the meaning and importance of an integrated approach to process safety in high hazard operations.
Brian D. Kelly, PEng, MCIC is the principal of BriRisk Consulting Ltd. of Calgary AB. A chemical engineer by training, he has over 35 years of experience in engineering, operations and process safety in the oil, gas and petrochemical industries. He is active in the process safety community in both the US and Canada where he has conducted numerous audits, incident investigations and process safety courses. He is also a part-time staff consultant with the Center for Chemical Process Safety of the American Institute of Chemical Engineers.
- Accident Theory and Model
- Loss of Containment
- Physical and Process Hazards
- Runaway Reactions
- Toxic Exposure
- Equipment Failure
- Human Factors
- Inherently Safer Designs
- Engineering Practices
- Plant and Equipment Layout
- Facility Siting
- Relief and Blowdown
- Circuit Isolation
- Electrical Area Classification
- Instrumentation and Safety Instrumented Systems
- Fire Protection
- Process Safety Management
- Leadership and Culture
- Hazard Assessment and Risk Analysis
- Operating Procedures and Training
- Management of Change
- Pre-Startup Safety Review
- Mechanical Integrity
- Emergency Preparedness
- Management Review and Continuous Improvement
$1,000 - CIC/CSChE members
$1,200 - non-members
$150 - student members
CIC Members save a significant amount on course registration fees.
Benefits of your membership to the CIC include:
- Savings on conferences and discounted rates on other courses, workshops and seminars
- Career Services – Search for jobs online, post your resume, gain access to our chemical sciences employers list (1500+), attend career fairs and more
- Receive Canadian Chemical News (ACCN) Canada’s leading magazine for chemical professionals. Published 6 times yearly by the Chemical Institute of Canada, it presents the worlds of chemistry and chemical engineering from a Canadian perspective — from exciting new scientific discoveries to industrial innovations and their impact on our daily lives.
- Discounted subscription rates to journals, books and electronic publications.
- Member Directory - Find colleagues who are also CIC members.
- Awards – Be eligible to have your achievements recognized through our many distinguished awards and scholarships.
- Outreach - be part of a strong community of scientists in Canada — a community that will help build the next generations of chemists, chemical engineers and chemical technologists.
- Opportunities to establish career networking contacts within academia, industry and government at both local and national scales.
- Group rate Insurance Discounts – Get discounts on home, auto, life, accident protection and disability insurance from TD Insurance Meloche Monnex and Manulife Financial.